Monday 7 November 2011

I'm a pusher Cady, I'm a pusher



I was reading an article this morning on my way to work that my teacher had handed out in class.  Written by Joel Kramer, an “American Hatha Master”, he describes two personality types in yoga: the “pushers” and the “sensualists.” Pushers are more into control and progress, they prefer the “hotter” types of yoga such as a Vinyasa or Ashtanga practice.  The other type of yogis are the sensualists who are more into surrender and relaxation; they tend to prefer the “cooler” types of yoga: Yin, Restorative, Hatha.

I probably already knew it deep down, hence my complete attraction and devotion to Vinyasa yoga, but I am a pusher ladies and gentleman.  Being such an “A-type” personality, it’s in my nature to push my edges and to use control to generate my energy in my practice. Yoga truly means balance…which inevitably means that I need to learn to let go, relax and just simply enjoy the sensuality of the stretch. 

The first ever Hatha class I attended was to be quite honest, boring.  I felt as though it moved incredibly slowly, I began to get impatient with the poses, and I craved just at least one salutation!  I’m pretty sure that we didn’t even do one single downward dog.  I was shocked and vowed to never do a Hatha class again…..that is until I reminded myself that my training will be split between Hatha and Vinyasa and I better damn get used to it.  Especially because our training program requires that we attend at least 10 Hatha classes with a certain teacher, and 10 Vinyasa.

But as I started to attend a few more Hatha classes, and push myself out of my Vinyasa habits (read: addiction) I was able to enjoy the practice so much more for what it was.  I don’t need to always “push” myself and have complete control, I actually enjoy letting go and surrendering in a gentler, calmer practice. 

Discovering and thinking about what type of “yoga personality” you are will really allow you to not only become more introspective, but in knowing what you need to learn to do and to focus on, you will truly be able to create more balance in your life.  Personally, as I read this article and was able to see in words why it was that I was so drawn to a fast-paced, energetic practice, only made me more attracted to the opposite….balance is key!


No comments:

Post a Comment